ANAT SHIFTAN - BIO
Born (1955), Shiftan studied English Literature and Philosophy (BA 1980) at the Hebrew University, Ceramics at Bezalel Academy of Art and Design, (1980 -1982), Eastern Michigan University (MA 1984) and at Cranbrook Academy of Art and Design, (MFA 1986). Shiftan worked at Pewabic Pottery, Detroit Michigan (1986 to 1999) as Instructor, Production Manager - Senior Designer and Director of Education. She taught at Bezalel Academy of Art and Design (1999-2002) and is teaching ceramics at SUNY New Paltz, NY since 2003 where she is currently head of the Ceramics Program. Shiftan received twice the Michigan Grant for Individual Artists and exhibited her work extensively. Shiftan has collaboratively organized: Contemporary Issues in Clay: A British Perspective, (2006), Why Clay (2008) and organized Beyond Hand Made (2008), all symposiums that examine theoretical, social and economical trends that are the context in which creative practice in visual arts occurs today. Recent exhibition include solo shows at Pewabic Pottery, Greenwich House Pottery NY, The Clay Studio Philadelphia PA, Vessels Gallery Boston MA, and in group shows at Wave Hill NY, The Clay Studio, Great China Museum, China Jingdezhen, Jingdezhen Contemporary International Ceramics Exhibition, The Dorsky Museum, and Art Shanghai.
- Design Miami / Sofa Chicago /The Salon Art + Design NYC/ Fog, San Francisco / Hostler Burrows NYC gallery
- Hot Pots, Portchester Clay Art Center, NY.
One Person: Thomas Hunter Projects: Nature Reconsidered, NYC, NY.
- Le Jardin: The Ceramics of Anat Shiftan, Vessels Gallery, Boston, MA.
- Old Westbury Gardens / Nassau County Museum, Floral panels by Nancy Lorenz and floral porcelains by Anat Shiftan
- Tracery, Gallery PS 209, Stone Ridge NY:Anat Shiftan, Jenny Kemp, Noah Post, Suzy Sureck
- Naturaly, Clay Art Center, Schacht Gallery, Saratoga, NY.
- 2013 Art Shanghai, April 18th. Shanghai Spring Art Salon Co.Ltd.
- Small Favors, VIII, The Clay Studio, Philadelphia.
- Roos Arts Exhibition, Bowls and Platters, WSW.
- Vessels Gallery (One Person).http://vesselsgallery.com/
- Blue and White, The Clay Studio, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Faculty of Wayne State Ceramics Program: 1990-2012, Detroit, Michigan.
- Wave Hill, NYC, NY (Group Show): The Wild Garden http://www.wavehill.org/arts/
- Small Favors, VII, The Clay Studio, Philadelphia.
- Watershed Kiln God Show, Baltimore Clayworks, Biltmore.
Comission: Tile relief walls for W Hotel, Singapore, Installed June 2012.
- November 2011: Queens College, NYC. (Group Show) Ceramics Material and Material Culture, Curated Sin Ying Ho.
- Westchester Art Center, eARTh, curated by Leigh Mickelson.
- Jingdezhen Contemporary International Exhibition 2011, The 1st Kaolin Cup China International Ceramic Art Contest and Exhibition, Honorable Mention Award.
- Schick Art Gallery Schick Art Gallery: Mercurial Objects: Luxuriant Obsession.
- Small Favors VI, The Clay Studio, Philadelphia.
- The Gift of Art, Vessels Gallery Jan 2011.
- Peekskill Clay Studios, Teaching Artists May 2011
· Stilled Life, Greenwich House Pottery February.
· Anat Shiftan New Work: The Clay Studio: September
- Visual Translations, Philadelphia March
- Small Favors V, The Clay Studio, May 2010.
- Reobjectification, Leslie Ferrin Gallery, SOFA NYC and Leslie Ferrin Gallery, Pittsfield, NY, July, 2010.
- The Things Themselves Pelham Art Center, NY, September
- Earth, Rockland Center for the Arts, NY, October.
· The 4th Annual Jingdezhen Contemporary International Ceramics Exhibition October, Great China Museum, Jingdezhen, China.
- Group: University of Alaska Anchorage, Curated by Steve Godfrey, March.
- Group - Jingdezhen Contemporary International Ceramics Exhibition in Jingdezhen
- 2009 Sanbao International Printmaking Exhibition, Jingdezhen Ceramic Institute, University.
- Group - Made In Clay, Greenwich House Pottery 2009
- Group - Small Favors IV, The Clay Studio, May 2009.
- Group - 2009 International Printmaking Exhibition. Sanbao, China
- Anat Shiftan, Recent Works of Still Life
Pewabic Pottery, Detroit Mich. March 2008.
Lecture in connection with this event at Pewabic Pottery.
- Anat Shiftan, Digital Art, WAW Peekskill Extension Center Gallery, April 2008.
- 5th. Israeli Biennale, Invited Artists, December 2008
- Tercet, Anelle Gandellman Fine Art, Larchmont, NY, October 2008.
- 6 x 6, tile show for All Fired Up, Clay Art Center, October 2008.
- Buckham Gallery, Flint Mich. May 2008.
- Made in Clay, Greenwich House Pottery March 2008
- Small Favors II, The Clay Studio, May 2008.