Anat Shiftan Studio
244 Leggett Rd. High Falls, NY 12440
Degree Date Institution & Location Major Field
MFA 1986 Cranbrook Academy of Art and Design, Bloomfield Hills, MI Ceramics
MA 1984 Eastern Michigan University Ypsilanti, MI Ceramics
BA 1980 Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel English Literature/ Philosophy
Year Institution Title/Activity
2009- SUNY NP Art Department Associate Professor
2007 - 2009 SUNY NP Art Department Graduate Coordinator
2005/6 Art Department Associate Chair
2003 -2009 SUNY NP Studio Art Department Assistant Professor
2002 -2003 College for Creative Studies, Visiting Professor
2002 - 2003 University of Michigan Adjunct professor
Art School, Ceramics
1999- 2002 Bezalel Academy of Art & Associate Professor
Design, Ceramics, Israel
1985- 1999 Pewabic Pottery, Detroit, Michigan:
1994 - 1999 Director of Education
1990 - 1993 Head of Design and Product Development
1988 - 1989 Clay and Glaze Development
1986 - 1987 Instructor, Education Program
- Design Miami / Sofa Chicago /The Salon Art + Design NYC/ Fog, San Francisco / Hostler Burrows NYC gallery
- Hot Pots, Port Chester Clay Art Center, NY.
- Thomas Hunter Projects: Nature Reconsidered, NYC, NY.
- Le Jardin: The Ceramics of Anat Shiftan, Vessels Gallery, Boston, MA.
- Old Westbury Gardens / Nassau County Museum, Floral panels by Nancy Lorenz and floral porcelains by Anat Shiftan
- Tracery, Gallery PS 209, Stone Ridge NY: Anat Shiftan, Jenny Kemp, Noah Post, Suzy Sureck
- Naturally, Clay Art Center, Schacht Gallery, Saratoga, NY.
- Dorsky Museum, new Paltz NY.
- 2013 Art Shanghai, April 18th. Shanghai Spring Art Salon Co.Ltd.
- Small Favors, VIII, The Clay Studio, Philadelphia.
- Roos Arts Exhibition, Bowls and Platters, WSW.
- Vessels Gallery (One Person).http://vesselsgallery.com/
- Blue and White, The Clay Studio, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Faculty of Wayne State Ceramics Program: 1990-2012, Detroit, Michigan.
- Wave Hill, NYC, NY (Group Show): The Wild Garden http://www.wavehill.org/arts/
- Small Favors, VII, The Clay Studio, Philadelphia.
- Watershed Kiln God Show, Baltimore Clayworks, Biltmore.
- Tile relief walls for W Hotel, Singapore, Installed June 2012.
- Queens College, NYC. (Group Show) Ceramics Material and Material Culture, Curated Sin Ying Ho.
- Westchester Art Center, eARTh, curated by Leigh Mickelson.
- Jingdezhen Contemporary International Exhibition 2011, The 1st Kaolin Cup China International Ceramic Art Contest and Exhibition, Honorable Mention Award.
- Schick Art Gallery Schick Art Gallery: Mercurial Objects: Luxuriant Obsession.
- Small Favors VI, The Clay Studio, Philadelphia.
- The Gift of Art, Vessels Gallery.
- Peekskill Clay Studios, Teaching Artists.
- Stilled Life, Greenwich House Pottery
- Anat Shiftan New Work: The Clay Studio
- Visual Translations, Philadelphia.
- Small Favors V, The Clay Studio.
- Re-objectification, Leslie Ferrin Gallery, SOFA NYC and Leslie Ferrin Gallery, Pittsfield, NY.
- The Things Themselves Pelham Art Center, NY.
- Earth, Rockland Center for the Arts, NY.
· The 4th Annual Jingdezhen Contemporary International Ceramics Exhibition October, Great China Museum, Jingdezhen, China.
- Group: University of Alaska Anchorage, Curated by Steve Godfrey, March.
- Group - Jingdezhen Contemporary International Ceramics Exhibition in Jingdezhen
- 2009 Sanbao International Printmaking Exhibition, Jingdezhen Ceramic Institute, University.
- Group - Made In Clay, Greenwich House Pottery 2009
- Group - Small Favors IV, The Clay Studio, May 2009.
- Group - 2009 International Printmaking Exhibition. Sanbao, China
- Anat Shiftan, Recent Works of Still Life
Pewabic Pottery, Detroit Mich.
Lecture in connection with this event at Pewabic Pottery.
- Anat Shiftan, Digital Art, WAW Peekskill Extension Center Gallery.
- 5th. Israeli Biennale, Invited Artists.
- Tercet, Anelle Gandellman Fine Art, Larchmont, NY.
- All Fired Up, Clay Art Center.
- Buckham Gallery, Flint MI.
- Made in Clay, Greenwich House Pottery.
- Small Favors II, The Clay Studio.
- Craft Forms, 2007, Wayne Art Center, Wayne PA, Curator: Mark Leach, Chief Curator Mint Museum of Craft + Design. -Mastery in Clay, The clay Studio, Philadelphia, PA
- Visual Israeliness, The 23rd. Annual Conference of The Association of Israel Studies, The Dorothy Rothschild Open University Campus, Curator: Elik Mishori.
- History in the Making, The Gallery at Genesee Pottery, Juried by Professor Val Cushing, Honorable Mention Award.
- Visual Israeliness, The open University of Israel, Department of Literature, Language and the Arts. Curator: Alik Mishori,
- Small Favors, The Clay Studio, Philadelphia, PA,
- Art and Soul, Discovering the Artist Within, Art Center of the Capital Region,
- Made in Clay, Greenwich House Pottery, Curated by Liz Zawada.
- Ceramic Abstraction, Exploration and Evidence in Contemporary ceramics, Juried: Paula Winokur, Creative Arts Workshop, New Haven, CT.
- Cups Coming Together, The Clay Art Center.
- Wayne Art Center, Wayne PA, Craft Forms 2006, juror Gretchen g. Heyworth, Chief Curator/Fuller Craft Museum.
- Eretz Israel Museum, Tel Aviv Israel, The Fourth Biennale for Israeli Ceramics,
- Lydia Zabetsky Gallery, Bezalel Academy of Art and Design, one person.
- Clay Art Center, Port Chester, NY, one person.
- Mastery in Clay, The Clay Studio, Philadelphia, PA (group).
- The Art Center of the Capital Region in Troy, 2006 Ceramic Regional: Down to earth
- The Clay studio, Philadelphia, PA, Two Dimensions/Three Dimensions, (4 person).
- Ellenville NY, 10 x 10 x 10, Curated by Judy Sigunick, (group).
- M.T.Burton Gallery, Surf City, New Jersey, Jersey Shore Clay National,
- The Clay Studio, Philadelphia, PA, Small Favors, (Group).
- Dorsky Museum, SUNY New Paltz: Second Nature,
- Pleminitas’, Croatia, Zagreb, Artist in Residence Exhibition: The XII International Raku Symposium, (group).
- Toby Rosenberg Gallery, Portland Maine: Five Israeli and Five American Ceramic Artists.
- Eretz Israel Museum, Tel Aviv Israel, The Third Biennale for Israeli Ceramics.
- Baltimore Clay Works, Baltimore, MD, Tile Matter and Motif, (Group).
- Mott Community College’s Fine Arts gallery, Flint, MI, 2004, One Person, Ceramics and Digital Drawings.
- Dutches Community College Art Gallery, An Exhibition of Works of Art Faculty from --Purchase College SUNY and SUNY New Paltz, (group).
- Elaine L. Jacob Gallery, Detroit, Mi, Regional Drawing Exhibition,
- Union Media Gallery, U of MI, (one person): Color Perception in Time: A Video of Digital Drawings.
- Center Gallery, Detroit MI, (group).
- Pewabic Pottery, Detroit, MI. (2 person).
- -University of MI, Residential College, Ann Arbor (group).
- Habatat/Shaw, Southfield, Mi (2 person).
- Kresge Art Museum Biennial Exhibition, MI State University, East Lansing.
- Pewabic Pottery, Detroit, MI, (3 people).
- University of MI Museum of Art Ann Arbor, “Sculpture On The Floor”.
- Great Lakes Gallery, Chicago Il. (4 people).
- Slusser Gallery, University of MI School of Art, Ann Arbor: Clay Ten + Ten.
- Great Lakes Gallery, Chicago Il. (group).
- Detroit Focus Gallery, Detroit, MI, Ten Year Anniversary Show, (group).
- Chicago Il, Navy Pier, Chicago Fire 2 (Contemporary Ceramics).
- Willis Gallery Detroit, MI, (one person).
- Eastern MI University, Ypsilanti MI, (Invitational).
- Detroit Focus gallery, Detroit, MI, (4 people).
- Eye Media, Ann Arbor, MI, (2 people).
- Artist Association Ann Arbor, MI, (one person).
- Detroit Focus, Detroit MI, (4 people).
- Detroit Institute Of Art, Detroit MI, “All But Oil”, (group).
- Detroit Institute Of Art, Detroit, MI, “Outside”, (group).
- Saginaw Art Museum, Saginaw MI. “Contemporary Ceramics”.
- Pewabic Pottery, Detroit, MI. (outdoor installation).
- Michigan Gallery, Detroit, MI, (group).
- Lill Street Gallery, Chicago Il, (Juried).
- Radford University, Radford VA, Clay USA (Juried).
Guest Lectures and Visiting Artist
- Guest lecture, Bezalel Academy of Art & Design.
- Guest lecture: Skidmore College, Queens College.
- SOFA2010: Panel Discussion: Re-Objectification in Postmodern Ceramics.
- NCECA 2010, lecture: A Post Production Moment. In connection with an exhibition I organized for this event: A Post Production Moment: On Appropriation and Authenticity, Works of 5 artists from 5 continents.
- Why Clay? A Ceramics symposium, Panel Discussion Moderator. Oct. 26.
- NCECA 2008, New Work Category: Anat Shiftan: A new body of work, completed within the last three years, March 14.
- Hudson River Potters, Clay Art Center, Guest lecture, May 15.
- NCECA Conference 2007, Leaders of Topical Discussions on: Ceramics in the Context of Political Conflict: How ceramics has and can be used to bridge deep differences. March 2007.
- Bezalel Academy of Art and Design, Jerusalem, Israel, November(lecture).
- Wayne State University, Ceramics Program, May.
- College for Creative Studies, Ceramics Program, May.
- Clay Art Center, Port Chester, NY. December(Workshop, Lecture).
- XII International Raku Workshop, at OLR-Plemenitas’, Zagreb, Croatia.
- Watershed, Center for the Ceramic Arts, “Artists Invite Artists” an Israeli American Residency Session, Maine, USA.
- Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY, spring (lecture and critiques)
- Guest Artist lecture, Bezalel Academy of Art and Design, Jerusalem, Israel, Jan 14.
- Guest Artist Lecture, Mott Community College, Flint, MI, March 24.
- XII International Raku Workshop, at OLR-Plemenitas, Zagreb, Croatia.
- Watershed, Center for the Ceramics Arts, “Artists Invite Artists” an Israeli /American Artist Residency Session, Maine, USA.
- Peter’s Valley, Summer 2008.
- Contemporary Issues in Clay: A British Perspective, (2006)
- Why Clay? (2008)
- Beyond Hand Made (2008),
- NCECA Conference 2010: On Appropriation and Authenticity.
Fellowships Grants and Awards
2016-2017 Research and Creative Projects Award, SUNY New Paltz
2015-2016 Research and Creative Projects Award, SUNY New Paltz
2014-2015 Research and Creative Projects Award, SUNY New Paltz
2013-2014 Research and Creative Projects Award, SUNY New Paltz
2012-2013 Research and Creative Projects Award, SUNY New Paltz
2011-2012 Research and Creative Projects Award, SUNY New Paltz
20010-2011 UUP Professional development Award, SUNY New Paltz
2009-2010 Research and Creative Projects Award, SUNY New Paltz
2008-2009 Research and Creative Projects Award, SUNY New Paltz
2007-2008 Research and Creative Projects Award, SUNY New Paltz
2006-2007 Research and Creative Projects Award, SUNY New Palt
2006 UUP/SUNY, Dr. Nuala McGann Drescher Award
2006 UUP Professional Development Award, SUNY New Paltz
2005-2006 Research and Creative Projects Award, SUNY New Paltz
2004-2005 Research and Creative Projects Award, SUNY New Paltz
2004-2005 UUP Professional Development Award, SUNY New Paltz
1990 and 1988 Michigan Council For The Arts, Grant for Individual Artist
1987 Arts Foundation of Michigan Awar
1986 Cranbrook Academy of Art, Tuition Grant
2014 Studio Potter, Thoughts on Authenticity & Interpretation Volume 42 #2
2010 Ceramics Art and perception: On Earth, Issue #83.
2008 Ceramics Technical, Porcelain Still Lifes
2008 Ceramics Monthly, Volume 56 #7: Enjoying the Still Life.
2007 American Craft Feb/March
2004 Clay times, Volume 10 #5
2004 Flint Journal, One-Person Art exhibition, March 22
1986 Detroit Free Press 2. 22. 1991/ 1.27.1987/ 7.28.1987/ 1.5. 1986
1987 Birmingham Eccentric 7.23.1987
1987 Detroit Metropolitan 7. 1987
Books and Catalogues
2012 Tending Towards the Untamed, Artists Respond to the wild Garden, Wave hill, Glyndor Gallery.
2011 The 1st. Kaolin Cup, China International Ceramic Art Contest and Exhibition.
Ceramics Art and Perception, Issue # 83: On Earth, pp70-73.
Printers and Potters: Creative Exchange, 2nd. China Sanbao International Printmaking Exhibition, pp. 20.
Mercurial Objects, Schick Art Gallery, Skidmore College pp21, 23 and 28.
2010 International Contemporary Ceramic Exhibition, Jingdezhen China International Fair
2009 Printers and Potters: Creative Exchange, West Meets East @ Sanbao, 2009 International Contemporary Ceramic exhibition, Jingdezhen China International Fair
2008 The Fifth Ceramics Biennale, Eretz Israel, Museum, Tel Aviv: Design, Art, Design PP. Hagai Segev.
2008 Angelica Pozo, 500 Tiles, An Inspiring Collection of International Works, Lark Books, NY, NY.
2007 Elik Mishori, Visual Israeliness, catalogue, Exhibition in the Framework of the 23rd. Annual Conference of The Association for Israel Studies, The Dorothy Rothschild Open University Campus, Raanana June-July, The Open University of Israel, Dept. of Literature, Language and Arts. 2006 – 2007
Knafo, David, Catalogue, Territory and Identity- Between Ceramics and Architecture
The Fourth Biennial for Israeli Ceramics, Eretz Israel, Museum, Tel Aviv: Design, Art, Design PP. 214-215.
2006 Pozo, Angelica. Hand Made Tiles, A Lark Ceramics Book, A Division of Sterling Publishing Co. Inc. NY, NY,Pp, 36.
2004-2005 Cecula, Marek, The Third Biennial for Israeli Ceramics, Eretz Israel, Museum Tel Aviv: Design, Art, Design PP. 93.
2004 Walt, Irene, Sera, Grace, Monogram, Art in the Stations, The Detroit People Mover Detroit: Art in the stations. Art In The Stations. Pp. 14,15,72.